July 1, 2019
On June 30, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh inDhaka to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 143.127 billion yen for the Matarbari Ultra Super Critical Coal-Fired Power Project (V).
The project will construct an ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant with a rated output of 1,200 megawatts (600 megawatts×two units) in the Matarbari area of Cox’s Bazar District, Chittagong Division, in southeastern Bangladesh, thereby meeting the rapidly rising demand for power in Bangladesh. These measures will contribute to economic development.
As well as the project, in order to stabilize the country’s power supply and promote energy efficiency, JICA is providing various kinds of assistance in the energy sector in Bangladesh, such as the proliferation of renewable energy, the installation of low-loss electric cables with reduced transmission loss, the enhancement of energy conservation and assistance with gas imports.
Details for the project are provided below.
1. Terms and Amount of Loan
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Matarbari Ultra Super Critical Coal-Fired Power Project (V)||143,127||0.90||0.01||30||10||General untied|
2. Executing Agency
(1) Coal Power Generation Company Bangladesh Limited
Address: CPGCBL, Uniqne Heights Level 17, 117 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Eskaton Garden Road, Dhaka-1217, Bangladesh
Phone: +880-2-9180788, fax: +880-2-9348306
(2) Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Limited
Address: IEB Bhaban 3rd Floor & 4th Floor, 8/A Ramna, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Phone: +880-2-9338529, fax: +880-2-9348306
(3) Roads and Highways Department, Ministry of Road Transport and Bridges
Address: Sarak Bhaban, Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh
Phone: +880-2-8879299, fax: +880-2-8879199
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: July 2024 – when the facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (including detailed design work): Already hired
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction: Already contracted