December 27, 2022
On December 26, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Cairo to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 41,000 million yen for the Greater Cairo Metro Line No. 4 Phase 1 Project (II).
As a continuation of the Greater Cairo Metro Line No. 4 Phase 1 Project, the objective of this project is to meet transportation demand, mitigate traffic congestion, and improve air pollution in the Greater Cairo Area by constructing a new metro (approximately 19 km in length) in the south-west of Greater Cairo and in the city center of Cairo. This project will contribute to the achievement of SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) Goals 9 (Industry, innovation and infrastructure), 11 (Sustainable cities and communication), and 13 (Climate action).
The Special Terms for Economic Partnership (STEP)* scheme will apply to the Japanese ODA loan for this project, and Japanese systems and trains will be installed at the metro being constructed under the project.
* STEP refers to special assistance terms for promoting the visibility of Japanese aid through a transfer of outstanding Japanese technology and expertise to developing nations. The main contract is Japan tied and subcontracting is general untied. The main agreement partner must generally be a Japanese company, an overseas subsidiary of a Japanese company, or a joint venture between a Japanese company and the borrowing country where the Japanese company is the lead partner, although under certain conditions a joint venture between a Japanese company (which is the lead partner of the joint venture) and an affiliated company (as accounted under the equity method) of a Japanese company may be the main agreement partner.
Details for the project are provided below.
1. Terms and Amount of Loan
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Greater Cairo Metro Line No. 4 Phase 1 Project (II)||41,000||0.1||0.01||40||10||Tied|
2. Executing Agency
National Authority For Tunnels
Address: Ramses Square, Ramses Building, P.O. Box 466
Phone: +20(2)25742968, FAX:+20(2) 25742950
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: February 2028 – when the metro is put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (including detailed design work): Already employed
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction: Already contracted
4. JICA Contact Information
For further information about the procurement schedule, please contact the party
Contact Point for Transport Sector, JICA Egypt Office
Address:World Trade Center 6th Floor, 1191 Corniche El Nile St. Boulak, Cairo, Egypt
Phone: +20 (2) 2574-8240/41/42/44 , +20 (2) 2773-6090/91, FAX:+20 (2) 2574-8243, +20(2)2773-6095