July 08, 2010
1. On July 8th, 2010, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a Japanese ODA loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of Mauritius in Port Louis, the nation’s capital, to finance up to 7,012 million yen for the “Grand Baie Sewerage Project".
2. The purpose of this project is to connect households to the existing sewerage plant in the Grand Baie region, the northern part of the country, thereby increasing the sewerage coverage ratio across the region and contributing to enhancement of environmental conservation and public health. The loan will be allocated to the construction of sewer pipes and pump stations.
3. Grand Baie is one of the major touristic regions in the country, attracting foreign visitors with its rich natural environment featuring sugar cane fields and abundant coral reefs along its coastline. The region has a wastewater treatment plant built with assistance from the Agence Française de Développement (AFD). However, not all the houses and commercial buildings are connected to the sewerage system; only 10% (about 1,600 households) of potential households to be covered in the region, are currently connected to the plant. As a result, untreated water from houses and commercial buildings penetrate into the ground, threatening to pollute the sea and groundwater. Therefore, there is an urgent need to increase the sewerage coverage ratio in the region and this project plans to connect about 4,400 households to the plant.
4. This project also intends to strengthen a water quality monitoring system and improve the capacity of wastewater treatment facilities across the region in collaboration with AFD. AFD has been supporting the construction of new treatment facilities in the neighboring district. JICA will work together with AFD to enhance environmental conservation and public health.
|Project title||Amount (million yen)||Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment Period|
|Grand Baie Sewerage Project||7,012||0.6||0.01||15||5||Untied|
* Favorable loan conditions are applied to this project, since it contributes to improvement in global environment by preventing water pollution.
Wastewater Management Authority
Address: 8th Floor, The Celicourt Sir Celicourt Antelme Street Port Louis, Republic of Mauritius
Phone: +(230) 206 3118, Fax: +(230) 213 7358
Planned Implementation Schedule