August 15, 2011
Sighning CeremonyMr. Hassan Nawaz Tarar, Additional Secretary
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Statistics, Economic Affairs Division (Left)Mr.Masataka Nakahara
Director General, Sout Asia Department, JICA (Right)
1. Today, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a Japanese ODA Loan Agreement with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (GOP) to provide a loan of up to 4,993 million yen for assistance for the Polio Eradication Project. The objective of the project is to optimize immunization of polio vaccine to children under 5 years, by procuring vaccines and providing services necessary for polio immunization activities, thereby contributing to the eradication of polio in Pakistan.
2. Pakistan has lagged behind other countries in South Asia in terms of maternal and infant mortality, and is one of the polio endemic countries in the world (the others are Afghanistan, India, and Nigeria). Despite the global effort toward eradication is in the final stage, there is an increasing trend of polio incidence in Pakistan mainly due to the large-scale population movement in the wake of floods of 2010. Under such circumstances, the GOP has demonstrated a commitment to early eradication of polio through launching of the National Emergency Action Plan for Polio Eradication by President Asif Ali Zardari in February this year.
3. In order to underpin the efforts of the GOP towards eradication of polio, JICA in line with policy of the Government of Japan (GOJ) will support Polio Campaign through the procurement of Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) and service provision of the campaign. The project addresses an issue critical to polio eradication in Pakistan, such as reinforcing activities in the prevailing region including the Pakistan-Afghanistan border areas and strengthening modus operandi through improving allowance package of immunization workers. The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO) will engage in vaccine procurement and service delivery of the polio campaign respectively in this project.
4. GOJ has continuously committed itself to polio eradication in Pakistan. As part of the government's response to the polio eradication in Pakistan, JICA has provided Grant Aid to procure OPV mainly used for the Pakistan-Afghanistan border areas in partnership with UNICEF since 1996. Besides this, JICA has extended its technical cooperation to enhance the capacity to Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) through "EPI/Polio Control Project" with an objective of expanding routine immunization mainly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province for five years from September 2006. The Polio Eradication Project intends to step up the cooperation until now and boost the GOP's effort toward polio eradication.
|Project title||Amount (million yen)||Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment (years)||Deferment period (years)||Procurement|
|Polio Eradication Project||4,993||0.01*||40*||10*||General Untied|
* Concessional loan terms apply to disaster rehabilitation projects
Planned Implementation Schedule