January 15, 2019
On January 11, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire in Abidjan to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 16.137 billion yen for the Project for the Construction of Three Intersections in Abidjan.
With the objectives of alleviating traffic congestion and improving the convenience and flow of transportation, the project will construct three flyovers at intersections along Boulevard François Mitterrand, which passes through Abidjan, the economic center of the country.
The Special Terms for Economic Partnership (STEP)* will apply to the Japanese ODA loan for this project, and Japanese technology, including rapid construction and steel corrosion protection, will be utilized in the construction of the project flyovers.
* STEP refers to special assistance terms for promoting the visibility of Japanese aid through a transfer of outstanding Japanese technology and expertise to developing nations. The main contract is Japan tied and subcontracting is general untied. Although the main contract allows a joint venture with the borrowing country in addition to the Japanese company and its subsidiary with an overseas presence, the Japanese company must be the leading partner in such an arrangement.
Details for the project are provided below.
1. Terms and Amount of Loan
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Project for the Construction of Three Intersections in Abidjan||16,137||0.1||0.01||40||12||Japan tied|
2. Executing Agency
Road Management Agency
Address: 08 B.P. 2604 Abidjan, the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire
Phone: +225-20-25-1000, fax: +225-20-25-1023
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: May 2022 – when the facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (including construction supervision): January 2019
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction:
Procurement package title: Civil Works Package
Release date: January 2019
4. JICA Contact Information
For further information about the procurement schedule, please contact the party listed below.
Africa Division 4, Africa Department, JICA
Address: Nibancho Center Building, 5-25, Niban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8012, Japan
Phone: +81-3-5226-8218, fax: +81-3-5226-6363