February 28, 2020
On February 27th, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of Kenya in Nairobi, to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 37.09 billion yen for the Mombasa Economic Zone Development Project (I).
The objective of the Project is to enhance transportation capacity and to stabilize the power supply, by constructing a berth, main road and electric facilities for the Mombasa Special Economic Zone, which is located in Dongo Kundu, thereby contributing to improvement of the investment environment of that area. The Project will contribute to the achievement of SDGs Goal 8.
Special Terms for Economic Partnership (STEP)* will apply to the Japanese ODA loan for this project, and it is expected that advanced Japanese technology, such as jacket type structure and long pile with heavy anticorrosion coating, will be utilized in the project.
* STEP refers to special assistance terms for promoting the visibility of Japanese aid through a transfer of outstanding Japanese technology and expertise to developing nations. The main contract is Japan tied and subcontracting is general untied. The main agreement partner must generally be a Japanese company, an overseas subsidiary of a Japanese company, or a joint venture between a Japanese company and the borrowing country where the Japanese company is the lead partner, although under certain conditions a joint venture between a Japanese company (which is the lead partner of the joint venture) and an affiliated company (as accounted under the equity method) of a Japanese company may be the main agreement partner.
Details for the project are provided below.
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Mombasa Special Economic Zone Development Project (I)||37,090||0.1||0.01||40||12||Japan tied|
2. Executing Agency
(1) Kenya Ports Authority
Address: Kenya Ports Authority, P.O. Box 95009-80104, Mombasa, Kenya
(2) Kenya National Highways Authority
Address: Bara Bara PLAZA, JKIA Nairobi, Off Mazao Road, P.O. Box 49712-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
(3) Kenya Electricity Transmission Company
Address Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Limited, P. O. Box 34942-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: December 2024 – when the port facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (construction supervision work ):
Port: February 2020
Road: Not yet decided
Electric Facilities: Not yet decided
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction:
Procurement package title: Construction of Port Package
Release date: Not yet decided
4. JICA Contact Information
For further information about the procurement schedule, please contact the party
Contact Point for Transport and Infrastructure Sector, JICA Kenya Office
Address: 22nd & 23rd Floor, Britam Tower, Hospital Road, Nairobi