As pertains to General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (hereafter, "the GDPR") of the European Union, (hereafter, "EU"), the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) collects information on all users of the website of JICA ("this site") to the extent necessary for seamless operation of services provided on this site. In its handling of personal information, JICA strictly observes the requirements of Japan's "Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, etc." (Act No. 59 of May 30, 2003) and its own internal "Rules for Protection of Personal Information" (set forth in Article 11 of the JICA Rules of 2005), and only uses information it collects within limits as set forth below so as to fulfill requirements of the GDPR and related laws and regulations.
(1) When using this site, there is in principle no need to provide any personal information, such as name and address, which can identify the user. However, the user is required to register personal information in order to use the following services that are provided through this site.
a. Services that require provision of personal information
b. Examples of personal information to be provided
(2) JICA saves, uses, or analyzes personal information with the consent of users and as required by its legitimate interests (providing and improving services) within the scope necessary to seamlessly implement services provided by this site and as a reference for JICA operations. The information collected may be shared among departments in JICA depending on the content.
(3) This website automatically collects information such as internet domain names, IP addresses and page views for the purpose of service improvement. To improve services provided, Google Analytics, an access analysis tool from Google, is installed on this site. Google Analytics uses a cookie (*) to track behavioral data on visitors, as well as to measure user attributes such as age, gender and interests acquired from Google's advertisement network and other services. Please review the Google Analytics' website for more information.
To disable Google Analytics, you can apply the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on provided by Google.
Also, you can disable the cookie function by changing your browser settings; however, please note that, by doing so, part of the services may not be available.
(*) Cookies are a mechanism to temporarily store data on a user's computer through a browser when a user visits a website. Information on the user's device and the number of visits to the site are recorded in a cookie and are used to identify the user when they visit the site.
Except in case of request for disclosure based on the GDPR or related law or regulation, unauthorized access, illegal threats or other special circumstances, JICA will not use any information collected for any purpose other than those stated in paragraph 2 above, or provide it to any third party.
However, JICA may publicize statistically processed data or opinions with respect to information on access to this site, proposals and opinions to JICA, and personal attributes pertaining to the information.
JICA will take necessary measures to prevent the leakage, loss or damage of information it handles and to appropriately manage such information.
In addition, JICA may outsource operation of this site. In such case, the outsourcer must also comply with GDPR and related laws, protect data against breaches, losses and other harm, and take all appropriate measures to provide for proper management of data.
(1) When a user of JICA's website requests disclosure, correction or suspension of use of their personal information, JICA will disclose, correct or suspend use of the personal information as appropriate to the circumstances of the request. To submit such a request, please refer to "Bylaws for the Implementation of Personal Information Protection."
(2) Users of this website have a right to submit a complaint regarding JICA's handling of personal information to their national authority with jurisdiction over data protection. Of course, before submitting such a complaint, JICA would appreciate the opportunity to respond to user's concerns regarding their rights by contacting us through the link provided in paragraph 10 below.
(1) By indicating agreement with this policy, the user is giving consent to the use of personal information by JICA as indicated by this policy, and JICA will make use of such personal information based on the user's consent. However, the user may withdraw their consent for use of personal information at any time. Furthermore, use of the services provided through this website by a child who has not attained the age of 16 years (or such other lesser age as set forth by individual nations' laws pertaining to the GDPR) requires the consent of the child's parent or guardian, and use of the services is only permitted with the explicit consent of the parent or guardian.
(2) Users who register to receive email magazine mailings may cancel their subscription for such mailings at any time. They may also change or correct previously registered information by registering new information.
This policy applies only to this site. JICA is not responsible for the content of external websites linked from this site.
JICA will maintain and utilize personal information only for the purposes set forth under paragraph 2 above, and for other allowable related purposes. JICA will promptly delete such information once it is no longer required for those purposes.
(1) JICA may transfer and use personal information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and countries subject to the GDPR for the purposes set forth above. In such cases, data may be transferred to countries or regions where data rights similar to those of the GDPR are not recognized. When transferring personal information to a country outside of Europe, JICA will assure sufficient measures for the protection of personal information by means of Standard Contractual Clauses designed to provide protections equivalent to those provided by the GDPR, and other methods.
(2) International transfer of personal information to Japan will be based on the EU's decision regarding the adequacy of personal information protections acquired by Japan. For information regarding the adequacy of personal information protections provided by Japan, please refer to the European Commission's website (https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en).
Website users are encouraged to contact JICA at the page linked below to inquire about matters related to use and protection of personal information under the law.
(1) Some social networking services (SNS) provide "buttons" that when included on other websites will cause personal information such as user IDs and information about sites visited to be automatically transmitted to the SNS even if the button is not clicked.
For information regarding the privacy policies of social media services used by this site, please refer to the websites of individual social media service providers.
This policy was put into effect on December 2, 2019.