Japan International Cooperation Agency
Share
  • 日本語
  • English
  • Français
  • Espanol
  • Home
  • About JICA
  • News & Features
  • Countries & Regions
  • Our Work
  • Publications
  • Investor Relations

Press Release

April 3, 2014

Signing on the Record of Discussion on the Project for Irrigation Human Resource Development by Strengthening of the Capacity of Arusha Technical College

Date: 4th April, 2014
Time: 09.00 a.m.
Venue: Ministry of Education and Vocational Training

The Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (MoEVT) and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will sign the Record of Discussion (R/D) on the "Project for Irrigation Human Resource Development by Strengthening of the Capacity of Arusha Technical College" (technical cooperation project) at MoEVT from 9:00 a.m. on 4th April, 2014.. Ms. Consolata Mgimba, Deputy Permanent Secretary of the MoEVT and Mr.Yasunori Onishi, Chief Representative of JICA Tanzania Office will sign the subject Record of Discussion (R/D)

Irrigation human resource development has been a critical issue in Tanzania as there is wide gap between the demand of human resources and the actual supply. After irrigation development was emphasized under "Kilimo Kwanza" in 2009, the needs to increase the trained personnel in the field of irrigation have become more dire than before.

To respond to this situation, Arusha Technical College (ATC) launched a Civil and Irrigation Engineering programme at engineers' level in academic year 2010/11 and at technician level in the academic year 2011/12. JICA dispatched three Japanese experts so far to assist ATC in: capacity building of academic staff in teaching both theory and practical in Civil and Irrigation Engineering; improving education material; and designing and construction of demo fields for irrigation.

As a result of ATC's endeavor and the cooperation by Japanese experts, the College has enrolled a total of 206 students for the progarmme in the academic year 2013/14, of which 62.1% are at technician level (Diploma) and the rest 37.9% are at Bachelor's degree level. On 18th January, 2014, for the first time, ATC produced 21 graduates of Bachelor of Civil and Irrigation Engineering.

While such tangible results are being observed at ATC, there still remain some challenges, namely inadequate funds for construction of irrigation water sources, proper design and construction of field irrigation demonstration plots/farms, completion of construction of Irrigation Building to accommodate the new programme, procurement of laboratory equipment and above all, capacity development of the staff of ATC. This new technical cooperation project aims at collaborating with the MoEVT and ATC in tackling those challenges and to continuously develop the capacity of Arusha Technical College especially in terms of irrigation human resource development. Further, it focusses on the improvement of modules of hydrology and design of irrigation schemes as well as improvement of the curriculum of Civil and Irrigation Engineering programme, thus achieving the high quality of the education at ATC.

This new technical cooperation project aims at collaborating with the MoEVT and ATC in tackling those challenges and to continuously develop the capacity of Arusha Technical College especially in terms of irrigation human resource development. Further, it focusses on the improvement of modules of hydrology and design of irrigation schemes as well as improvement of the curriculum of Civil and Irrigation Engineering programme, thus achieving the high quality of the education at ATC.

Project duration will be three (3) years and it is expected to be start from 1st June, 2014.

PAGE TOP

Copyright © Japan International Cooperation Agency