December 1, 2011
Prof. Yasuo Tanaka, Kobe University, Research Center For Urban Safety and Security (RCUSS)
1. The "International workshop for urban development and renovation based
on seismic risk in Middle East North Africa (MENA) region" was held between 30th November and 4th December 2011 in Ankara and Istanbul.
2. This workshop is becided on the "Follow-Up Workshop of JICA Urban Disaster Risk Reduction Course (DRR Course)" in November 2010. The participants of DRR course contained from several regions of the world. In this workshop in 2010, they created three regional study groups: Asia Region (Pakistan, Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, China), Middle East North Africa (MENA) region (Turkey, Iran, Syria, Algeria, Palestine, Jordan) and Latin America Region (Peru, Chile, Venezuela).
3. The result of the DRR course came out as to strengthen regional development of disaster-prone countries. Thus, it was decided that in each region, a workshop should be conducted with the regional participants and with other nearest regions' participants.
Mr. SAITO, Chief Representative of JICA Turkey Office made an opening remarks
4. Therefore, the workshop series started between 3rd and 5th May 2011 in Pakistan combining the Asia group members. The second workshop was held in Ankara and Istanbul, Turkey on 30 November and 4 December 2011.
5. All the activities above are conducted with the support and initiative of Kobe University, Research Centre for Urban Safety and Security (RCUSS). Prof. Yasuo Tanaka, the director of RCUSS is a pioneer to establish such strong network of DRR activities among JICA ex-participants of DRR courses.
6. Most of the participants of this initiative are JICA ex-participants in many countries including Turkey. JICA will continue to assist Alumni activities to strengthen their network among these regions which have a similar geographic structure to tackle with the common big goal of "urban disaster risk reduction."