February 21, 2012
1. The seminar on "Waste Management in Turkey and Japan" was held in cooperation with Ataturk University, Faculty of Engineering, İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM), Erzurum Metropolitan Municipality, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and JICA Alumni Association on February 21, 2012 in Erzurum.
2. Opening speeches were delivered by Prof. Dr. Cafer CELIK, Dean of Faculty of Engineering, Ataturk University, Prof. Dr. Recep BONCUKCUOGLU, Head of Environmental Engineering Department and Mr. Akio SAITO, Chief Representative of JICA Turkey Office. The panel was moderated by Prof. Dr. Ergun YILDIZ, lecturer from Department of Environmental Engineering.
3. The first panelist was Mr. Ibrahim OKTEM, environmental engineer from IMM who was also an ex-participant of JICA, made a presentation on the comparison of the waste management systems of Turkey and Japan and gave information about the waste treatment techniques in Japan. The second panelist was also an environmental engineer from IMM, Mr. Cagatay MANAV made a presentation on particularly IMM's waste treatment and management activities. He also introduced future projects of IMM about establishing new waste incineration plant. The third panellist was the Mr. Durak BULUT, Head of Environmental and Control Department of Erzurum Metropolitan Municipality. He presented the waste management system in Erzurum.
4. The audiences were approximately 150. Most of them were environmental engineering students, environmental engineering graduate students, academicians, environmental engineers working at Erzurum Metropolitan Municipality. All the audiences were quite interested in the subject and a lot of questions were raised.
5. One of our main focused areas is "Environmental Improvement". JICA supports Turkey in this field as we have been doing.