January 8, 2013
1. The Opening Ceremony of Istanbul Water Supply Project which aims to meet increasing water demand of Istanbul City was held in Ankara with participation of Prime Minister Erdoğan among the total of 112 water projects in Turkey.
2. Prime Minister Erdoğan pointed out the importance of this Project in his speech, mentioning that this Project, being one of the biggest water supply projects, will enable to secure drinking water for Istanbul citizens until the year 2071.
3. Together with the Prime Minister Erdoğan, Minister of Forestry and Water Affairs, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, Minister of Finance, Ankara Mayor participated to the ceremony in Ankara. Istanbul Mayor and Governor were at Kağıthane site in Istanbul where the ceremony with online connection to Ankara was held.
4. The Project opened as the Governor and the Mayor pushed the button and the Melen river water spread out from the connection of Kağıthane Drinking Water Treatment Plant in Istanbul.
5. The objective of this Project is to develop the water resources by constructing water facilities such as intake weir at the Büyük Melen River which is at 170 km East of Turkey with transmission line of 180 km including the Bosphorus Tunnel of 5.5km, treatment plant and others, therefore to cope with the increasing water demand in the socio-economically developing city of Istanbul. The Loan Agreement of JICA was signed on November 12, 1993 with total loan amount of 94 billion 783 million JPY.
Ankara: Chief Representative of JICA Turkey Office and GD of DSI
A Memorial Plate was settled at Istanbul Project Site, Kağıthane