Project for Reinforcement for Maternal and Newborn Health Care Phase 2 (PRESSMN 2)
TYPE OF COOPERATION
All regions of Senegal
General Department of Health; Department of Health, Reproduction and Child Survival, Ministry of Health and Social Action (MHSA)
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROJECT
Nationwide scaling up of the PRESSMN model
PRESSMN Phase 1 was implemented in the regions of Tambacounda and Kedougou from January 2009 to December 2011 by the MHSA with the support of JICA. The objective was to ensure the well-being of all parturient and newborn to meet the protocols and standards of reproductive health in Senegal.
Through three years of experiences, the project achieved the following results:
- The definition of the concept of a Senegalese model of « humanized care » for the mother and newborn
- The integration of «humanized care» and «continuum of care » in the strategic plan for reproductive
- The development of communication tools and a training plan regarding humanized care for
These positive results allowed to launch the second phase of the project (PRESSMN 2).
This model has five components, which are:
- Communication with communities;
- Sharing the concept of the Project;
- Improvement of workplace and environment;
- Practice of care based on scientific evidence;
- Organization of support and development activities.
The first 5 regions namely Tambacounda, Kedougou, Dakar, Kolda and Fatick are targets for the implementation of the model in 2013.
As a reminder, humanized childbirth is a set of conditions that allow women to be comfortable and experience childbirth as a happy event. Free style childbirth is also a part of humanized childbirth.