August 8, 2022
signing ceremony (courtesy by the office of the prime minister)
On August 6, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Royal Government of Cambodia in Phnom Penh to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 41,388 million yen for the Sihanoukville Port New Container Terminal Expansion Project (I).
The project aims to build new container terminals and related infrastructure in order to expand the Sihanoukville Port—the only international deep-sea port in Cambodia. This project will contribute to an increase in shipping routes calling at the port and to the promotion of trade in Cambodia. In addition, this project will also contribute to the achievement of SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) Goals 8 (Decent work and economic growth) and 9 (Industry, innovation and infrastructure).
Details for the project are provided below.
1. Terms and Amount of Loan
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Sihanoukville Port New Container Terminal Expansion Project (I)||41,388||0.75||0.01||30||10||General untied|
2. Executing Agency
Port Authority of Sihanoukville
Address: Terak Vithei Samdach Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Sangkat No.3,
Preah Sihanouk City, Preah Sihanouk Province, Cambodia
Phone: +855-(0)34-933-416/511, fax: +855-(0)34-933-693/917
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: May 2029 – when the facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (including detailed design work): August 2022
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction:
Procurement package title: Package Civil Works for NCT2 (*)
Release date: February 2024
* NCT2: the second container berth of new container terminal