December 11, 2019
The composite image of the Mombasa Gate Bridge
On December 5, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of Kenya in Nairobi to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 47.800 billion yen for the Mombasa Gate Bridge Construction Project (I).
The project aims to mitigate traffic congestion and facilitate efficient transportation and logistics around the Mombasa area, which is the gateway of East Africa, by construction of a large-scale cable-stayed bridge linking Mombasa Island and South Mainland (Likoni area). This will improve local development and is expected to contribute to regional economic activities and development of Kenya and the surrounding regions. The Project will contribute to the achievement of SDGs Goal 9.
Special Terms for Economic Partnership (STEP)* will apply to the Japanese ODA loan for this project, and Japanese technology, including cable-stayed bridge construction techniques, will be utilized at the main bridge to be constructed in the project.
* STEP refers to special assistance terms for promoting the visibility of Japanese aid through a transfer of outstanding Japanese technology and expertise to developing nations. The main contract is Japan tied and subcontracting is general untied. The main agreement partner must generally be a Japanese company, an overseas subsidiary of a Japanese company, or a joint venture between a Japanese company and the borrowing country where the Japanese company is the lead partner, although under certain conditions a joint venture between a Japanese company (which is the lead partner of the joint venture) and an affiliated company (as accounted under the equity method) of a Japanese company may be the main agreement partner.
Details for the project are provided below.
|Annual interest rate (%)
|Mombasa Gate Bridge Construction Project (I)
2. Executing Agency
Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA)
Address: Bara Bara PLAZA, JKIA Nairobi, Off Mazao Road, Nairobi, Kenya
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: June 2027 – when the facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing letters of invitation for consulting services (construction supervision work): January 2020
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction:
Procurement package title: The Main Bridge Packages
Release date: March 2021
4. JICA Contact Information
For further information about the procurement schedule, please contact the party
Contact point for Transport and Infrastructure Sector, JICA Kenya Office
Address: 22nd & 23rd Floor, Britam Tower, Hospital Road, Nairobi, Kenya