April 3, 2020
On March 30, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of the Philippines in Manila to provide a Japanese ODA loan of up to 4.409 billion yen for Metro Manila Priority Bridges Seismic Improvement Project (II).
The objective of the project is to strengthen the resilience of the transport network in Metro Manila by replacing and strengthening the Guadalupe and Lambingan bridges utilizing improved bridge seismic design specifications. This will contribute to a more secure and sustainable economic and social development of Metro Manila and to realizing speedy recovery in case of large-scale earthquakes in the National Capital Region. This project will contribute to the achievement of SDGs Goals 9,11.
The Special Terms for Economic Partnership (STEP)* will apply to the Japanese ODA loan for the project, and it is expected that advanced Japanese technology, such as Super-structure Erection Method and Steel Pipe Sheet Pile, will be utilized in the project.
Details for the project are provided below.
1. Terms and Amounts of Loans
|Annual interest rate (%)||Repayment
|Metro Manila Priority Bridges Seismic Improvement Project (II)||4,409||0.1||0.01||40||12||Japan tied|
* STEP refers to special assistance terms for promoting the visibility of Japanese aid through a transfer of outstanding Japanese technology and expertise to developing nations. The main contract is Japan tied and subcontracting is general untied. Although the main contract allows a joint venture with the borrowing country in addition to the Japanese company and its subsidiary with an overseas presence, the Japanese company must be the leading partner in such an arrangement.
2. Executing Agency
Department of Public Works and Highways
Address: Bonifacio Drive, Port Area, Manila
3. Planned Implementation Schedule
(1) Completion of project: August 2022 – when all facilities are put into service
(2) Issuing of letters of invitation for consulting services (including construction supervision): Already hired
(3) Tender announcement of initial procurement package for international competitive bidding on project construction:
Procurement package title: Civil Works Package
Release date: Currently under consideration by Executing Agency
4. JICA Contact Information
For further information about the procurement schedule, please contact the party listed below.
Contact Point for Transportation Sector, JICA Philippines Office
Address: 40th Floor, Yuchengco Tower, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati City, Philippines