What growth do we mean by the most desirable development? How can we advance the growth for achieving its aims? The JICA Research Institute has been conducting joint research on the quality of growth since 2012 in collaboration with the French Development Agency (AFD) and the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) . The book is the outcome of a series of joint research activities.
As the signs of negative impact of global climate change are becoming evident, and especially in the aftermath of the global economic turndown, societies had a choice --- either reframe their definition of growth, or try to pursue it, growth as we have known it for many decades.
There are many issues around policy debates on the quality of growth: job creation, equality, inclusiveness, the promotion of the resilience of growth and etc. What are the dimensions of growth quality we should most care about? How to measure such qualities? The book, a collection of papers represents an effort of the researchers of the three institutions, AFD, IDS, and JICA to contribute to the deepening and widening of international debate on such issues.
- Full version_Growth is Dead, Long Live Growth: The Quality of Economic Growth and Why it Matters（PDF／5.34MB）
- List of Contributors（PDF／304KB）
- Chapter1_What is the Quality of Growth?（PDF／430KB）
- Chapter2_Poor Trends: The Pace of Poverty Reduction after the Millennium Development Agenda（PDF／475KB）
- Chapter3_Chronic Poverty in Rural Cambodia:Quality of Growth for Whom?（PDF／525KB）
- Chapter4_Does the Quality of Income Growth Affect Child Nutrition Status?（PDF／323KB）
- Chapter5_Disability and Growth Elasticity of Poverty in a Developing Country（PDF／446KB）
- Chapter6_Reflections on the Prospects for Pro-Poor Low-Carbon Growth（PDF／433KB）
- Chapter7_Structural Transformation, the Quality of Growth and Employment Outcomes（PDF／815KB）
- Chapter8_The Elusive Quest for Inclusive Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: Regional Challenges and Policy Options（PDF／813KB）
- Chapter9_What are the Macroeconomic Impacts of Natural Disasters? - The Impacts of Natural Disasters on the Growth Rate of Gross Prefectural Domestic Product in Japan（PDF／1.00MB）
- Chapter10_Industrial Transformation and Quality of Growth（PDF／736KB）
- Chapter11_The Governance of Natural Resource Wealth: Some Political Economy Considerations on Enhancing Social Investment（PDF／465KB）