Ceremony of establishment of NMIMR
- Since NMIMR was founded as a core research institute in 1979, JICA has continued to provide it with intangible cooperation through eight technical cooperation projects, and tangible cooperation through four Official Development Assistance (ODA) grant aids.
- Since 2010, JICA has provided support for the implementation of two joint research cooperation programs (numerous joint research programs with international organizations and universities around the world).
NMIMR's contributions during the COVID-19 pandemic
Consultation between Japanese experts and NMIMR personnel
- At its peak, 80% of the COVID-19 PCR tests in Ghana were processed at NMIMR.
- NMIMR has also put effort into educating the public and raising awareness on preventing infections through easy-to-understand explanations on TV broadcasts about the status of testing and its methods in Ghana.
Development of Ghanaian researchers
- (Support on COVID-19 measures) Provision of supplies and equipment including face masks, disposable lab coats used in testing, automated RNA extraction instruments, RNA instrument testing kit, and other testing reagents.
- (Ongoing) Cooperation on joint research on infectious disease surveillance and intestinal mucosa infections
- (Ongoing) Accepting international students for human resource development in the field of infectious disease control
- (Planned) Technical cooperation to enhance laboratory safety and improvement of quality management safety
Impact on neighboring countries
Research cooperation between Japanese research institutes and NMIMR
- NMIMR has provided guidance on infectious disease testing in 11 countries in West Africa and played a leadership role in regional infectious disease control.
Advanced Research Center for Infectious Diseases
- (Ongoing) Third Country Training Course on Enhancing Laboratory Skills for Infectious Diseases in West African Countries
Training for West African countries