Moderators and panelists
Speakers (Order of presentation)
Dr.ISONO Mitsuo (MD, PhD, Visiting Fellow, JICA Ogata Research Institute)
Dr.SUGIYAMA Masaya (PhD, Vice Project Leader of Genome Medical Sciences Project, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Japan)
Dr.NOIRI Eisei (MD, PhD, Director General of National Center Biobank Network / Senior Scientist of National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Japan)
Primary objectives and outcomes
The end of the COVID-19 pandemic is still not in sight. To overcome the challenges in times of uncertainty, Japan set the goal of "leaving no one's health behind". JICA is taking a holistic approach to addressing the pandemic and health security in our partner LMICs by focusing on prevention, precaution and treatment. By using this approach, we hope to contribute to the protection of people's lives as the urgent target and build more resilient societies.
In a situation where we don't have the right solution yet, it is imperative to continuously share the latest research findings, as well as practical knowledge and experience gained through practice. The aim of this webinar is to invite distinguished Japanese researchers and clinicians to share their latest knowledge and experience in their respective fields, and to promote each country's efforts in protecting people's lives from COVID-19.
Content of the discussions
Dr. Noiri and Dr. Sugiyama of the National Center for Global Health and Medicine in Japan introduced the predictive biomarkers for severe COVID-19. Dr. Sugiyama explained the means of diagnosis via blood testing, and Dr. Noiri clarified diagnosis through urine tests. Both doctors presented recent research findings and described the current status of clinical settings.
The webinar was attended by 498 participants from 49 countries across the world. Many crucial issues were raised in the question-and-answer segment of the webinar. The queries probed topics such as how comorbidities could influence test results, what equipment was necessary for the tests, and what timing was most effective for the conduction of the tests. The webinar offered participants a prime opportunity to exchange opinions and information.
More than 80% of COVID-19 patients only suffer mild symptoms, but the other 20% become severely ill. Moreover, patients with mild or moderate symptoms can suddenly develop severe symptoms. Therefore, both doctors emphasized the use of the available tests to detect severe cases in the early phases for timely interventions.