MPA (Economics and Development Policy), Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA), Princeton University, June 1987
BA (International Relations), Tsuda College, March 1981
Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), October 2020-present
Director, JICA Research Institute (current JICA Ogata Sadako Research Institute for Peace and Development), October 2018-September 2020
Visiting Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), October 2018-September 2020
Distinguished Senior Research Fellow, Asia Pacific Institute of Research (APIR), April 2015-present
Senior Research Fellow, Asia Pacific Institute of Research (APIR), April 2013-March 2015
Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), January 2002-September 2018
Director, Division for LAC, Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), October 1999-December 2001
Director, Environment & Social Development Division, etc., Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund of Japan (OECF), April 1998-September 1999
Public Sector Management Specialist, The World Bank, October 1995-January 1998
Economist & Deputy Director, OECF Research Institute for Development Assistance, October 1993-September 1995
The World Bank (Economist, Strategic Planning and Review Dept. / Country Officer for Peru, LAC, etc.), September 1988-September 1993
Japan International Cooperation Agency (Mining & Industrial Planning Dept., Training Dept., Social Development Cooperation Dept.), April 1981-June 1988
- Yamada, Shoko and Izumi Ohno (eds.). Industrial Human Resource Development in Developing Countries, Nippon Hyoronsha, Tokyo, 2021 (forthcoming) .
- Homi, Kharas, John McArthur, and Izumi Ohno (eds.) Leave No One Behind: Time for Specifics on the Sustainable Development Goals, Brookings Institution, 2019.
- JASID (ed.) Encyclopedia on International Development, Ch.13: Industry, Finance & Business, Maruzen Publishing, November 2018.
- Ohno, Izumi (ed.). From a Small Factory in Japan to a Global Firm in Asia: SMEs’ Overseas Expansion Strategy & Policy Support, Chuo Keizaisha, May 2015 (in Japanese).
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno (eds.). Eastern and Western Ideas for African Growth: Diversity and Complementarity in Development Aid, Routledge, April 2013.
- Ohno, Izumi, Hideyuki Sugawara and Shino Tsuchiya. Introduction to BOP Business: Addressing Global Challenges through Partnership, Chuo-keizai Publishing Co., 2011 (in Japanese).
- GRIPS Development Forum (ed.). Diversity and Complementariy in Development Aid: East Asian Lessons for African Growth, February 2008, edited with Kenichi Ohno and Masumi Owa.
- Goto, Kazumi, Izumi Ohno and Toshio Watanabe (eds.). Japan’s International Development Cooperation, Nippon Hyoronsha, June 2005 (in Japanese).
- Ohno, Izumi. The World Bank: Toward New Development Strategies?, NTT Publishing Co. , October 2000 (in Japanese)
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno (eds.). Japanese Views of Economic Development: Diverse Paths to the Market, Routledge, UK, April 1998.
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno. IMF and the World Bank: Insiders’ Views of Development Finance Institutions, Nihon Hyoronsha Tokyo, March 1993 (in Japanese).
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno. “A Japanese Perspective on Ethiopia’s Transformation”, Ch.7, in Oxford Handbook on Ethiopian Economy, edited by F. Cheru, C. Cramer, and A. Oqubay, Oxford University Press, 2019, pp.842-857.
- Ohno, Izumi. “Network-based Development Cooperation as a Way Forward for Japan”, Chapter 10, in Japanese Development Cooperation: The Making of an Aid Architecture Pivoting to Asia, edited by André Asplund and Marie Söderberg, Routledge, December 2016, pp.159-176.
- Ohno, Izumi. “China’s Foreign Aid and International Aid Community: From the Perspectives of Traditional Donors and Africa”, Chapter 9, in A Study of China's Foreign Aid, edited by Y. Shimomura and H .Ohashi, Palgrave Macmillan, November 2013, pp.193-21.
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno. "Dynamic Capacity Development: What Africa Can Learn from Industrial Policy Formulation in East Asia", Chapter 7, in Good Growth and Governance in Africa: Rethinking Development Strategies, edited by A. Norman, K. Botchwey, H. Stein, and J. Stiglitz, Oxford University Press, 2012, pp. 221-245.
- Ohno, Izumi. “Japan’s ODA to Vietnam and New Growth Support to Africa: Projecting the East Asian Development Vision into the Global Aid Debate,” Chapter 3, Japanese Aid and the Construction of Global Development: Inescapable Solutions, edited by David Leheny and Kay Warren, Routledge Contemporary Japan Series, 2010, pp.77-102.
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno. “Ownership of What?: Beyond National Poverty Strategies and Aid Harmonization in the Case of Vietnam,” Chapter 3, Aid Relationships in Asia: Exploring Ownership in Japanese and Nordic Aid, edited by Alf Morten Jerve, Yasutami Shimomura and Annette Skovsted Hansen, Palgrave Macmillan, 2007, pp.41-62.
- Ohno, Izumi. “Industrial Policy and Kaizen: A Perspective from Japan-Ethiopia Industrial Policy Dialogue”, Journal of International Development Studies, (Special Issue: Achievements and Further Issues in Kaizen Research for International Development), Vol. 2, No.1, November 2018, pp.13-26.
- Ohno, Izumi, Konya Kenichi, Hiroaki Shiga, Frank Murillo, Estefania Charvet, ”Scaling up Business Impact on the SDGs”, Policy Brief for Think 20 Japan 2019: 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, March 31, 2019.
- Ohno, Izumi. ”Think 20 Japan 2019: The ‘Japan SDGs Model’ and the Task Force on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development,” Global Solution Journal, Issue 4, March 2019, Global Solutions Initiative, pp.104-113.
- Ohno, Izumi. "Towards an Enhanced EU-Japan Partnership for Sustainable Development," Friends of Europe website, June 25, 2019.
- Ohno, Izumi. “Significance and Challenges of ‘The Ishikawa Project’: A Practitioner’s Perspective Based on the Experience of Japan-Ethiopia Industrial Policy Dialogue”, Journal of International Development Studies, Vol. 27, No. 1, The Japan Society for International Development, June 2018, pp. 63-76.
- Ohno, Izumi. "Japanese Development Cooperation in a New Era: Recommendations for Network-Based Cooperation," GRIPS Discussion Paper 14-15, September 2014.
- Ohno, Izumi and Kenichi Ohno. “Eastern and Western Ideas for African Growth”, World Financial Review, July/August 2013, pp.41-44.
- Ohno, Izumi. “East Asian Perspectives of Development and Aid: Towards Japan’s Enhanced Contribution to African Growth Support,” Journal of International Development Studies, Vol. 18, No.2, The Japan Society for International Development, November 2009, pp.129-142.
(JICA/GRIPS Reports on Japan-Ethiopia Industrial Policy Dialogue)
- Assisting Industrial Transformation in Africa: Japan-Ethiopia Industrial Policy Dialogue Phase II, Japan International Cooperation Agency & GRIPS Development Forum, August 2016.
- Policy Measures for Industrial Transformation: Case Studies form Asia and Africa, Japan International Cooperation Agency & GRIPS Development Forum, August 2016
- Intellectual Partnership for Africa: Industrial Policy Dialogue between Japan and Ethiopia, Japan International Cooperation Agency & GRIPS Development Forum, December 2011
- Kaizen National Movement: A Study of Quality and Productivity Improvement in Asia and Africa, Japan International Cooperation Agency & GRIPS, December 2011
Japan Society for International Development (JASID)
12th JICA President Award, 2016